Special Immigrant Juvenile (SIJ)

To be eligible to petition as a SIJ, you must be under 21, not married, and a state court in the U.S. must decide:

  • To declare that you are a dependent of the court or to legally place you with a state agency, a private agency, or a private person and
  • It is not in your best interests to return to your home country (or the country you last lived in) and
  • You cannot be reunited with a parent because of ANY of the following: abuse, abandonment, neglect, or similar reason under state law


Source: USCIS.gov