Temporary Worker

There are several nonimmigrant visas which allow you to work in the U.S. for a temporary period.  (Permanent employment-based immigration is discussed under Permanent Residence).  The main classifications available include:

  • E-1 Treaty Traders
  • E-2 Treaty Investors
  • E-3 Specialty Occupation Professionals from Australia
  • H-1B Specialty Occupation
  • L-1A Intracompany Transferee Executive or Manager
  • L-1B Intracompany Transferee Specialized Knowledge
  • O-1 Individuals with Extraordinary Ability or Achievement
  • P-2 Performer or Group Performing under Reciprocal Exchange Program
  • P-3 Artist or Entertainer Part of a Culturally Unique Program
  • Q Cultural Exchange
  • R-1 Temporary Religious Workers
  • TN Professionals from Canada and Mexico